Hundreds of individual factors affect the fuel efficiency of a truck. While addressing one issue could lead to minor improvements, tackling the majority is the only way to make substantial changes. Many external problems – weather conditions, road conditions, etc. – are beyond your control; however, most internal problems – driving habits, maintenance, etc. – can be resolved with little effort.
Accurately determining what leads to poor efficiency is the first step towards successfully reducing your emissions. The majority of truck drivers have no idea how much they spend on vehicle upkeep and many believe that fuel consumption is the biggest expenditure. However, on average the fuel itself only equates to around 30% of annual operating costs. Maintenance, tyres and insurance accounts for the remaining 70%. However, the time and money you spend on these other factors will directly affect that precious 30%.
In the very best circumstances combining all of the improvements listed below could double your fuel mileage. While each truck will have its own physical limitations, improving fuel economy by 15% to 25% is a perfectly reasonable assessment, even on older vehicles – a target that’s even more plausible if you have an aggressive driving style.
For more information, please go to http://www.trucklocator.co.uk/hub/truck-fuel-efficiency-guide/